4.03.2014

Spam and Potato Casserole

I'm back with another Spam recipe! This stuff is good to me, ya'll. I know its not for everyone. But if you've never tried it, you should give it a try!

Monday night after work I realized that I had forgotten to take any meat out to cook for supper. Since I'm still struggling to actually come up with and follow a meal plan, this happens a lot. Maybe one of these days I'll get my act together and make meal planning work. Hopefully that'll happen before Baby #2 arrives...cause I'm pretty sure once she's here I'm gonna be overwhelmed for a while.

Anyway, back to Monday night. Not having anything ready to cook, I decided to grab a can of Spam and see what I could do with it. No, I didn't come up with this recipe on my own; I'm not creative enough with cooking to be able to successfully do that! I honestly can't say what website I found this recipe on; I just did a Google search for "spam and potato casserole" because we had a full bag of potatoes I could use. After a few minutes of searching, I found a good-sounding recipe and (of course) tweaked it according to my tastes and what we had in the cabinet.

Oh, and since I'm a terrible blogger, I didn't take any pictures. Sorry. But it really doesn't look very appetizing, honestly. Spam is not the most attractive food item, and casseroles usually don't look wonderful anyway. That being said, it IS a delicious casserole! Even my super-picky husband liked it (though he said I used too much onion), and my daughter gobbled it up. Put it this way: between the 3 of us, we devoured a 9x13 dish full of this stuff (well, I took one bowl to work for leftovers). That NEVER happens.

Spam & Potato Casserole

potatoes (I used 5 - ours were small)
1 can Spam
cheese (I used about 1.5 cups of shredded Cheddar)
onion (I used a small one, but DH said it was too much, so next time I'll go with 1/2 an onion)
1 can cheese and broccoli soup (you could also use cheddar cheese or cream of celery soup)
10 3/4 ounces milk (just fill up the empty soup can)
salt, pepper, and paprika to taste

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Slice potatoes thinly (I scalloped mine and made them super thin). Layer into a 9x13 dish.
Slice onion and lay on top of potatoes.
Sprinkle salt, pepper, and paprika over potatoes and onion.
Sprinkle cheese over everything.
In a separate bowl, combine soup and milk. Pour over casserole.
Cover lightly with aluminum foil and make 1 - 1/2 hours or until potatoes are tender (mine took 1 hour, though it might have been ready sooner, I didn't check).

It'll be pretty runny at first, but it sets up and thickens.

The great thing about casseroles is they're hard to screw up, you know? You can change things up according to what you like and/or have on hand and they're almost always delicious. I've never professed to be a great cook (last night we had some chicken legs cooked in BBQ sauce...yeah, not my best work, but that's a story for another day!), but even I can't mess up a casserole. And no, I will not be taking that as a challenge...haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog today! And thanks for commenting. I read every one and comments mean so much to me! ( :