6.07.2013

Dream Big

You know what I think would be the coolest job ever? Being a photographer. You get to play with your camera and be creative every day, and capture special moments in people's lives. But then you are in charge of capturing special moments in people's lives! Which means if you screw up, those people hate you. Yeah, that would be pretty stressful. And I have seen first-hand how challenging being a photographer is. Picture a whiny 2 year old who does not feel like having her picture made that day. Or the newborn who does nothing but scream because he doesn't want to be naked right then. Or the bratty 5 year old who decides she won't be smiling for any reason that day. Yeah, stressful...

So maybe being a photographer wouldn't be the best job ever. I bet if it wasn't your full-time job, your man gig that pays the bills, it would stay enjoyable. If it was just a paying hobby, you could be selective of your clients and your appointments. Plus, you wouldn't have to do weddings every Saturday just to keep your lights on.

Why do I bring this up? Because I love taking pictures and learning new photography techniques, and I have a cool camera (Nikon d5100). I got it last May, and its the best thing I ever bought myself (well, I had help from my family - hello, birthday money!). Before I got this camera, I was shooting with my husband's little point-and-shoot Nikon, which was fine but didn't allow me to be very creative. I had to use that camera because my last nice camera died. I can't even remember now what it was, a Kodak I think. It was a point-and-shooter, but it looked like a DSLR, which I loved. And it took great pictures until it died. In fact, I took C's newborn pics myself using that camera.

Considering the camera I was working with, I think these turned out awesomely. (And considering how this was 2 days after we got home from the hospital and I was exhausted and still fat and all that, haha.) I would love to see what I could do now with my fancy camera.

Anyway, I've always thought it would be awesome to have a photography business on the side. No, I'm not sure I'm good enough to do that. Yes, I know there are a ton of really talented photographers out there. And yes, I know that just having a nice camera doesn't make me a professional. However, I think I have a good eye and with some more education and practice I could consistently produce wonderful images. Besides, I have shot for other people before: I was the sole photographer for both of my cousins weddings (which I swore I would never do again for free, lol), and I've done a few sessions for special occasions like my sister-in-law's college graduation and portraits of my friend and her baby. I've had people ask me to do sessions for them later this year, too.

Of course, so far I haven't been paid for any of this, and mostly its been for my family. But I figure its good to build my portfolio before I start trying to attract paying clients, right?

I've been toying with this idea for a while now. I have a lot to learn, and I'd love to take a photography class, but its hard to find one locally (and that I can afford). In the meantime, I'm reading all I can and practicing whenever I can (mostly taking pictures of C and the animals on our farm). And hopefully I'll get some more people interested to help me build my portfolio and eventually grow a business. Maybe it'll work out.

Or maybe I'm dreaming dreams that are too big. Maybe I'm too confident in myself. I don't know. The way I see it, you have to have dreams. Even if those dreams don't become reality. This morning I was going through some pics I took yesterday evening of C (I let her jump in mud puddles!), and one stuck out to me and I just had to add a caption to it. And then I decided to take my own advice. We'll see what happens. ( :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog today! And thanks for commenting. I read every one and comments mean so much to me! ( :