6.11.2013

VBS - Day 1

Last night was the first night of Vacation Bible School (VBS) at our church. Man, was it chaotic!

I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one who thought that. Let's hope that tonight things go a little smoother.

Yesterday I rushed after work and made it home with C by 5:30. We immediately jumped into the bath tub, then I got ready while she splashed around some more. I had planned to heat up a frozen dinner and fix some mashed potatoes for supper, but I realized I'd never have time for that. So I fixed C a PB&J sandwich and I ate a few handfuls of chips (healthy, I know!), and then we were out the door. We got there at exactly 6:30 and were pretty much the last ones to arrive. Everyone else was already in the fellowship hall eating supper! No one had told me that food would be provided. I figured they'd have snacks, but not a meal. C of course wasn't hungry so I ate her bowl of chicken and rice.

At least now I know that the rest of the week I don't have to rush to fix supper. As long as C gets a good meal, I will feel fine. Me and DH will just wing it for ourselves this week.

After everyone ate, we headed to the church for the real start to VBS. It was extremely loud! We sang some songs, recited the Pledge of Allegiance to the American flag, the Christian flag, and the Bible, then there was a short puppet act, which no one could hear because the kids were so loud. C was pretty overwhelmed and didn't know what to think for a while. This was the point where I discovered I had been designated a teacher of C's class, the toddlers. Luckily, the other teacher actually knew about her role beforehand and was somewhat prepared!
It was so crazy in there that all the kids were running around and being wild. This is my child. Who knows why she was doing that! lol
Next, we took the 7 toddlers in our class back to the fellowship hall for craft time. They loved that. They made little owl masks and decorated hats with stickers. C covered every square inch of her hat with fish stickers, and as soon as we got home, she promptly removed every single one! Next up was lesson time. Which did not happen.
Our classroom was the church nursery, which is where people take their babies and toddlers during church so they can play. So they're all used to just playing in that room. And what did they want to do as soon as we walked through the door? PLAY! We managed to get 3 of them (C included) to sit down at the table, but none of them payed attention to the lesson. I don't even think the other teacher finished reading it; she saw how pointless it was. Eventually we both gave up and decided to let the kids do whatever they wanted.
After what seemed like an eternity (this was after 8pm, which is almost bedtime for most toddlers, so they were getting cranky...), it was finally our time for music. We went back to the church sanctuary and they cranked up the music and we sang and danced for a while. The babies loved that. I kept waitin for C to bust out her dance moves like she does at home to her VBS CD, but she held back, haha.

DH texted me while we were doing our craft time and said that he and our dog, Roscoe, had been struck by lightening!! I of course freaked out until I got him on the phone and was assured that they were both okay. He told me later that the lightening didn't actually strike him or Roscoe, but something nearby and they felt it. It knocked the power out to our house, though it came right back on. DH said he was putting out the last pile of hay for the horses and had the pitchfork in his hand when it hit. He said he couldn't let go of the pitchfork and poor Roscoe didn't know what to think! When it was over, Roscoe ran to the house and it took DH a while to calm him down. DH felt bad the rest of the night, and this morning he said his arms felt weak. I was just grateful that he was okay!!

Exciting start to VBS week, huh? I pray that the rest of the week is uneventful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog today! And thanks for commenting. I read every one and comments mean so much to me! ( :