9.27.2013

Green Smoothie #2

Hmm...I need to come up with a better title to these posts. ( ; I'll work on that!

After my serious post this morning, I thought I'd lighten things back up and share my most recent green smoothie experiment. This one I was really happy with!
Pretty color, huh? My husband thinks drinking something this green is appalling, but it really appeals to me. One of my friends said "I wasn't expecting it to be quite so green." haha!

This one was pretty simple. Wait, all green smoothies are simple. My bad. You just gather your ingredients, throw them in the blender, and turn it on. Doesn't get any easier than that.

Here's what's in this smoothie:


  • about 1 cup of spinach, frozen (I froze a bunch a few weeks ago so it wouldn't go bad; frozen is not a requirement)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 large green apple
  • 1/2 avocado


First, I added the spinach and water and blended that until the spinach was smooth. Then, I diced the apple and added that. I just plopped the avocado in there. If you have a better blender you could probably throw everything in at the same time, and throw in bigger chunks of apple.

This one tasted basically like the green apple, but the avocado added a nice smoothness to it. Its hard to describe, but I really liked it. I intend to try it again, but add a banana next time and see how I like that. Because I definitely needed more substance (or protein?). I made this for breakfast and less than two hours later I was hungry. I'm not trying to lose weight, but I do like the idea of using green smoothies as a meal replacement - otherwise, this is too much extra food to buy for just a snack. So maybe an added banana will do the trick. I'll be sure to share my results next week!

Since I was hungry after the smoothie, I ate a snack at work. A patient brought me a few donuts this week, and its rude to turn down food that people bring you, right?
I'm sure that baby totally negated any health benefits I reaped from the green smoothie. Whoops. It sure was good, though! ( ;

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog today! And thanks for commenting. I read every one and comments mean so much to me! ( :