9.30.2013

Green Smoothie Twerking - I Mean Tweaking!

Haha. Okay, that was my failed attempt at a catchier post title.  ( :

I said last week I was gonna try the same green smoothie but add a banana. Well, this morning I did just that! And it turned out seriously delicious. I thought last week the smoothie tasted good. I was wrong. Adding a banana made it perfect to me. Plus I blended this one longer, which eliminated some of the crunchiness of the green apple. So I'm happy with this morning's concoction.

Here's the recipe, just in case you missed it last week:


  • about 1 cup spinach (mine was frozen)
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1 green apple
  • 1/2 avocado
  • 1 banana


It works best to blend the spinach and water first (with my blender, anyway), then add everything else. And I dice the apple pretty small, too.

This recipe makes 2 cups of smoothie. I drank 1 cup for breakfast, and was hungry about an hour later. Bummer. I'm researching other sources of protein, though, and I hear that chia seeds keep you full longer. Again, I'm not tryin to lose weight, but it sure would be nice to not be starving all the time! I eat 5-6 times a day. I am always hungry!!

Anyway, I'll be enjoying the other cup of this smoothie later as a snack. I'm looking forward to it!


Tomorrow starts the Simple Green Smoothies 30 Day Challenge! I'm excited to try new green smoothie recipes, and start feeling healthier! (Is that even a thing, feeling healthier?? Haha.) I actually feel pretty energized today, and that's amazing, cause I got barely 6 hours of sleep last night and was absolutely dragging when I got out of bed this morning. I'm thinkin my green smoothie perked me up. ( :

I've got the shopping list for my first week of smoothies, and in a bit I'm headed to Harris Teeter to gather what I don't already have. (Kind of excited about that, too, cause I've never been to Harris Teeter. My city just opened one. Yes, I am a country bumpkin!) Here's some of the ingredients I'll be using the first week of the challenge:


  • bananas
  • oranges
  • pineapple
  • apples
  • pears
  • avocado
  • mixed berries
  • lemon
  • grapes
  • spinach
  • kale
  • basil
  • almond milk
  • ginger root


Sounds pretty good, right? I feel healthier just lookin at that list!


Last week, my husband bought a ton of bananas. There are bunches of bananas all over my kitchen! I've been researching how to properly freeze them, so that's my goal tonight, cause they're turning brown rapidly. Freezing bananas, doesn't that sound like fun?? I hear frozen bananas are perfect for smoothies!

I hope green smoothies stick with me, cause on Saturday DH planted a LOT of spinach for me in the garden! He's never grown spinach before, so he's skeptical. I'm excited for it to grow. He also planted stuff like turnips and rutabagas, which are things we rarely eat (mainly because I don't know how to cook them so that we actually like them, haha). So I'll be researching recipes for that soon. And you better believe I'll be sharing them here! ( :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by my blog today! And thanks for commenting. I read every one and comments mean so much to me! ( :